Our Greatest Fear

Francis Chan once said, "Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." I read this some time ago, and it stuck with me.

Our lives are full of "stuff." We are all very busy and it seems we are all pulled in 100 different directions. We also live in a world where everything is at our fingertips. We can access things and contact other people so quickly. It seems that life moves so fast; it is difficult to keep up with its pace. We all have things in our lives that if we succeed with them, we will have been successful at something that matters. We all have families and friends and opportunities to have a positive impact on other people. The fact is most of us know what matters in our life. And, the truth is if we spend enough time and effort on something, chances are we'll be successful at those things. So, the question is, are we spending time on the things that matter?

Chan's words remind me to slow down and evaluate what I'm spending my time on.

There's nothing wrong with a little leisure activity. But, now everything is so easily accessible and entertaining. Watching one episode of your favorite TV show on Netflix turns in to watching a whole season. Watching one 3 minute video on YouTube turns into 30 minutes. Our phones notify us of every new tweet, email, Facebook post, etc., and even when we tell ourselves that we are only going to look at one post, one email, one tweet, we end up getting pulled in, spending more time than we should.

As I said before, deep down, we all know what really matters - our family, our friends, our children, and the people we see everyday at work or in our daily activity. For me, Chan's words made me realize that if I'm not spending my time with the important people in my life, then I'm probably not being successful at the things that really matter.

Comments

Popular Posts