Monday, January 16, 2017

The Most Important Position

When I was a kid, my Dad and another man named Tim were my Little League baseball coaches. They coached me from the time I was 8 and until I was 14. I learned a lot from them both and from the sport, but one lesson really stuck out to me, and it applies to us all.

At the end of the first practice of each season, my Dad and Tim would talk to us as a team, and Tim would ask, "Which of you know the most important position on this team?" Players would raise their hands. One would say "shortstop," another would say "center field," and someone else would say, "the pitcher." Tim would shake his head "No" to all of our answers, and then he would would say, "The most important position on this team is the one YOU are playing."

I can still picture him saying it. That lesson has stuck with me, and it is a powerful way for all of us to look at our positions, in both our personal and professional lives. It doesn't mean that we should feel that our position is more important than someone else's or that we should only be concerned with our position - quite the contrary. It means that there isn't one position that is more important than another; all of our positions are equally important, especially if we want to be the best organization we can be.

When you think that you have the most important position on team, then you know that you have to do everything you can, everything in your power to do the very best job possible. After all, you have the most important position; people - your students, colleagues, children, spouses, etc. - are counting on you. Take pride in that fact!






1 comment: